Monday, July 18, 2005

Barangan Buatan Bukan Malaysian.

Chinese saying: If you have good fortune, do not contemplate spending on a good pair of shoes and a good mattress.

Every girl is a shoe person, and lately I've been spending so much on sports footwears instead of buying boring court shoes for work.

The latest addition is a pair of Clark's footwork shoes which I can also use for indoor rock climbing.

But I must say, the most long lasting pair of outdoor footwear I owned was bought from BATA, the valcro strap type which I bought for my first white water rafting expedition 4 years ago. It's only RM56.90 although it's all leather, lightweight and and has very good grip.

If it's not because the shop closes the last on that night, I wouldn't have bought it. I'm brand prejudice like that, I thought I had enough of BATA when I was in primary school, now it has to be something foreign! - perhaps to set myself properly in my age bracket (yeaa... bleaaghh!).

Anyways, I was impressed with its durability as compared to its price when Clark's or Scholl will cost quadruple or more.

Well, it has finally failed to serve me recently, the left sole broke into two. I can't bring myself to buy a pair of RM290 valcro strapped sandals to dunk them in the mud, walk through puddles, leave em carefreely in the porch and all that. Why on earth must most of them be made of suede upper? I don't get it.

Much to my surprise, BATA is not made in Malaysia, it is originated in Chechoslovakia by siblings of three: Anna, Antonin and Thomas Bata. Two of them went their own ways and Thomas and his onwards groomed it to what it is today.

It was once diversified into a bicycles, tyres, machinaries and aircraft making organisation! Back then, it did well at localising its image. It's not a very good idea now as we don't want people to keep saying, "Laaaa, kau pakai kasut BATA?"



BATA Ad: India BATA Ad: Toronto.

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **

Oh, oh! You know what? Although Boh tea is made in Malaysia, the founder is actually an Englishman, John Archibald Russell! Read on on how he and his siblings got into mining, rubber estate and railway construction back then here in our country!

"His whole career has been a businessman romance of such magnitude that it cannot be compared with the achievements of any other European in Malaya. past or present".
The Malay Mail when J. A. Russell's passed away in 1933.

referer referrer referers referrers http_referer