Thursday, May 05, 2005

Homie don't Watch dat!

(On his new job venture)
Him: You know what, they say, I’m just like Homer. Can you tell the similarities?

Maine: Oh my God! You look like him! So mean!

Him: …. (silence) You don’t watch Simpson’s do you?

Maine: Err… sometimes.

Him: ….(silence). He works with the nuclear power plant. That’s why they say that.

Maine: Oooooh! (so embarrassed)

Him: You didn’t know he works with the power plant?

Maine: B…b..but you’re not going to work in a power plant!

Him: Yeaalaaa, I’m still gonna be in a factory.

‘Him’ refers to Poncho. Haiyo Poncho… I disappointed you. I swear I couldn’t tell the similarities between you and Homer in terms of image! Was trying to sound smart.

I am not a fan of The Simpson’s, I guess it doesn’t appeal to me because of its air time (after office hours) and also the scene of a totally dysfunctional family and an ugly ruthless man who acts as Homer’s boss… whatizname? Rather tune me out. I handle enough rude customers, my head is already dysfunctional and cluttered enough. Of course, this is a cartoon for grown ups.

Those were the days when we (those in the thirties) used to have only RTM1, RTM2. We’re forced to watch common programmes. The cartoons I can talk to my friends in school endlessly were Gems and the Hologram, Ewoks, He Man, Carebears, Thundercats, Mobydick, Sinbad, Smurf, and the likes. They take you into a different playground, simple words, lots of love, cheerful colours.

I remember this conversation back then:

My friend: Garfield no more already, got another cartoon next week you know!
Me: What cartoon?
My friend: Gotlah but don’t know why at 7 o’clock lah. I come to your house and watch ok!

(In front of the TV)
Me: Oi, this is ‘rancangan agama’ lah!
My friend: (flipping the newspaper). See! Pedo man!
Me: Oi, that’s PEDOMAN, not Pedo man! It means something like ‘the right path’ in Malay. It’s for Muslim people to learn the right path.
My friend: (so disappointed) oooohhh!.

Thinking of those, I do miss Supergran, The Greatest American Hero, The Misfits of Science, ‘V’ (oh please bring this one back so I can comprehend better), MacGyver, The ‘A’ Team, Giligan’s Island, Airwolf, Knight Rider, The Highway Man etc.

(To be continued)

referer referrer referers referrers http_referer