Monday, June 13, 2005

Rafting in the Rain.

long pending continuation from 'Cry me a dam(n) River'.

******

Now, 4 years after more exercises with a short stint of rock climbing, I am confident to try Sungai Selangor out again.

Unfortunately, it's not draught season yet, so they don't need to release more water from the dam(n); the level is really really low. We were asked to drive all the way up to Sg Kampar (difficulty level - 3) in Perak instead.

The winding streets along Gopeng village are lined with rubber and durian trees. It is durian season now. I never knew there's a place as serene and as beautiful as Janda Baik. The river water is completely glass clear and as cold as hell heavens!

We were divided to occupy two 6 seater rafts. Our guide this time is the River Goddess, Marjorie. I can't fail this time, I must prove it to myself (got to make the most ROI with my RM150 investment!), and to the Goddess.

Marjie lead the way in her sleek red one seater canoe.

The weather was already moody during our journey there. Then it rained, they kept telling us that this river will prepare us for Sungai Selangor in KKB.

I think it was better than Sungai Selangor, I guess it's the ecstatic look on each an everyone's face, especially after successfully passing through each rapid. Back then, with a different team, we were pretty panicky.

We stopped twice to soak up and slide on the rocks while the rain washes our faces. That's when our guides, Kolok and Akik inspected the immediate route ahead.

The rapids there did make our hearts skip a beat when we were asked to sit in and stop paddling in order to squeeze through the rapids.

The rafting routine alone ended after slightly more than 2 hours. It was still raining and we had to bathe again in cold water to clean ourselves! Brrrrrrrrr!!!!

After another two hours of chinese course lunch (provided in the package) and a good long chat, we learnt that River Goddess does all kinds of outdoor sports services (yyyeayh!), we drove back. The whole activity, including the drive was from 7:30am to 7:30pm!

Sungai Selangor, I am still going for you, I shall redeem myself. Soon baby, soon!

referer referrer referers referrers http_referer