Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Nostalgic Memories of us 30 y'olds.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls.
We fell out of trees, got cut, and broke bones but there were no law suits.
We walked to friends' homes.
No one was able to reach us and no one minded. (Coz there were no cell phones)
We had friends-we went outside and found them.

Those were the content of an email I received some time back entitled "For Those Born Before 1986".

Remembering simplistic ways that used to keep me happy when I was in school triggered my discussion with Ponchoman about the toys we used to play with when we were really young. I was more curious what this 'Mat Salleh' would share with me about what he did in Bengeo.

To my surprise.... he mentioned the stuff he learnt from the local Gila-Gila comic, the one particularly written by the cartoonist, Rejabhad. I was ecstatic, he remembered the artist!

I only remember trying out the 'helikopter biji getah' when I went back to my hometown and it was so much fun, the idea was from the same source as Poncho's. He explained 'permainan guli' and 'Konda-Kondi' to me.

Me: Hmm.... budak normal rupanya dia ni.

I was speechless for awhile, I would expect people of my dad's age to share that with me instead of him.

Then we started blurting the names of junk foods in our past. Things went from left to right, top to bottom, inside out!

This 'gula-gula' bendera was something we'd eat two tiny beads at one time to make sure there's still something rattling inside the stick. Siap kedekut nak share dengan kawan. Padahal bukannya sedap pun.






Murakawa chewing gum. I don't know what happened to the free tattoo pictures of butterflies, flowers, lady birds they used to provide on the inside of the wrapper. We used to show off the tattoos which we print on the back of our hands kan! There's also Kiki Bubble Gum, the three marble sized chewing gum which is most affordable but only good for chewing.


Poncho said he used to hide this blade in a secret compartment in his schooltime canvas with valcro wallet so that it can be used to cut the rope in case he gets kidnapped. Kalau macam tu bila simpan blade ni kena belajar sekali buat magic, tangan tengah kena ikat pun boleh bawak keluar wallet dari poket, lepas tu seluk pisau dalam secret compartment?? Ampang kids la.


This was obviously a status symbol back then. Everyone will remember your name if someone mentions you have a Game & Watch. But mom got it for free during her trip to Japan. It's banned in school but we'd fight our ways through to show it off and use it as a bait to make new friends.

I was so happy to have discovered this chocolate. Cadbury mini bar don't compare to it. We'll usually bite according to the line attempting to conserve the middle part with the word 'Kandos'. Then we'll keep the silver sheets and press the crease away using a ruler or a coin and try to paste the ends together and try to make the biggest sheet which we imagined could turn into a wall mirror. Betul tak? And it sure sucks if it tears while being ironed out.

This is Poncho's part. He said this is Don Pelorian, typical Japanese line of pencil case brand (the tin type). I only remember the brand 'Final Frontier' on comb binded notebooks and pencil case. Don Pelorian tiada di kawasan saya atau mungkin hanya pilihan budak sekolah kat Ampang. I wonder if he was also into Hello Kitty.





I don't know what we call this. My colleague bought it and thoughtfully handed one to me coz she was too happy to have found it. Remember how we would make a few bubbles and stick them on top of each other? Then when there are holes in it, all we have to do is put our mouth on it, repuncture it and using our lips again, seal the hole.

Remember the junk food Kum Kum and Chickadees we used to buy from the roti man? The square 10 cents eraser with green top and alphabet pictures on it? The Pacer Casette mechanical pencil which used to be a status symbol? The scented colourful rubbery beads we buy and place them in pencilbox. The 36 sticks Luna colour pencils. Now when we see them, we can afford to buy a bundle! :)

referer referrer referers referrers http_referer