Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Legal Grass.

Know What We Eat.

The creeping fig (Ficus pumila). Without pruning, a single plant can envelop a four-story building!

In China, the syconia of creeping figs are picked ripe and placed in a porous bag to squeeze out the juice. The juice is cooked and then cooled into a gelatinous consistency called "pai-liang-fen." This jellylike material is cubed, mixed with water, syrup and flavorings and consumed as a refreshing drink. It is canned and sold in Asian markets as "grass jelly" of "ai-yu jelly."






But ,one of the most common plants used to make grass jelly is an herb in the mint family called Lamiaceae.

Now my curiosity on mana datangnya air cincau is finally answered. All this while, I was told that it is a kind of seaweed. This goes to say, we shouldn't easily believe everything we hear.






Somewhere within my blog, I have shared my answered curiosties about Truffles (mushroom) and whether it is halal to be eaten by Muslims as it is hunted down by dogs and swines, about what wasabi is made out of, how petai tree looks like, how vanilla essense is derived and how the hanger for a comb of banana looks like.

I was even given the wrong information by the chefs about how scallops are derived. They told me it is the ligamen that holds bigger species cockel meat to its shell. I discovered that the 50 cents sized seafood meat IS the integral part of the shelled seafood instead of it just being the ligamen.

referer referrer referers referrers http_referer