Monday, March 20, 2006

Shali's Throne.

I spent some time at Shali's house after the birth of her second child.

We spent time evaluating how well this old live-in confinement masseus, Mok Nab's, massaging technique on us. She will massage her and 'tungku' her with the hot stone for two to three weeks and then she will be off to another house to serve the next customer. While Shali tends to her infant and perform her prayers, Mok Nab kneaded me.

Shali: This cream is really good, see, my stretch mark semua dah hilang. (Shali lifted her sarong and showed me the marks behind her thighs).

I looked at those marks and so many memories came flashing back. DKNY and Exclamation perfume scents linger around me again.
Back when we were in Form 3, we spent time in her room, her make-up set all strewn on the dressing table. Chomel's earings, DKNY belts, Rest n Relax skimpy tops, Body Shop's lipstick, her sister's Mills & Boons books, hair removal cream, loads of girl talk.

Party clothes were all over the floor as we exchanged and mix match what we have to be able to look different and rich and spoilt every week.

Sure there were teenagers' narcissist and selfish comments being exchanged. The idea of who's the ideal man we should end up with were discussed-all according to what we perceive is right from what we saw in TV and Pop Magazines. The idea of how much money we should make, the kind of wedding we'd hold yadaa, yadaaa. Sweet naivety.

At that point my eyes tried to swallow its tears. She came a long way to be the selfless person she is now. If she had sighted the stretch mark back then, she and I and her sister would all be wailing together in agony on her bedroom floor. But now it seem instead like a sign of pride. Oh yes! I guess it is an ultimate sign of sacrificial mileage. Baby bottles and toys replace the sight of strewn make-up and facial applicators.

Except... a nice little black handbag was nicely displayed on her dressing chair.

Here I am with measly rock climbing scars on my shins and palms which serves no meaning. (Tapi wa tetap suke panjat-memanjat k). But at least it reminds me of the day the three of us got caught red handed trying to climb the front gate one late night. Just when we were lifting our legs up and trying to avoid the skirts from getting snapped on the spears, her dad's headlights shone at us. Dang! That's why I decided to turn professional, satu hari nanti boleh start pecah rumah.

Shali: Shak says she's gonna hold a 'Picadilly Reunion' soon! She met Hasnol recently and they're trying to work something out.

Me: I hope everyone dresses up the same way we used to then. But how do we say it? GQ?
How about dress code for women?

Shali: I don't know but I finally have boobs now. I'm sure it fits the code!

Heheh! Those were the days we stuffed tissues in our bra cups.

Financially, she thinks she's less fortunate than people around her. But least that she knows people around her notices the wealth she has this early, that cannot depreciate, that not many, could withold with courage in this age.

I am proud of the person she is then and now. I am glad I get to witness the things I need to help build my courage in facing what my future witholds.

referer referrer referers referrers http_referer