Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The Frog and the Scorpion

It's been days since I get to sit down with my peer to discuss about world issues. Kev, just came back from attending a seminar last weekend. This seminar is called 'To Lure the Tiger Down the Mountain'.

He asked me if I have heard the story about the Frog and the Scorpion. Not that I can remember among so many, but for the sakes of making him tell, I said no.

The way it was told:

Once upon a time, there's this Frog and a Scorpion both want to cross the river.

Of course for the frog it's not a problem. Of course for the Scorpion, it is impossible right or NOT?

So the Scorpion asked the frog if he can piggy back on it. The frog think-think-think... and said... "You better not bite me!!"

The Scorpion said, "I'm not stupid! If I bite you, I will die too right or NOT?"

The frog said "Ok". And they crossed the river together.

During the journey, the Scorpion bit the frog.

The Frog turned to the Scorpion and said "Fxxcker!!! You said you won't bite me!"

The Scorpion said, "Yes. But... I can't help it. It's my habit!"

Later though, the Scorpion died too, drowned together with the dead frog.

Kev asked me what the moral of the story is. I said, "Don't allow any Scorpion to piggy back on you." (Ini sebab idolise Apek Senario terlebih sangat.) Before I wanted to be serious, Kev said, "Old habits are hard to kick."

The point the instructor was trying to make is, in order to try to kick bad habits, it has to start from within, from one's own awareness. The punch phrase, ABC: Awareness Before Change.
***'

It must be one of those days when I get all analytical again. I started justifying things against things that only I know, things that connects to me lately. To sting is not a habit for Scorpions, it is an inborn trait, just like frogs can't stop themselves from jumping into water. Bad storyline to prove a point, but that's besides the case.

I have had my share of experiencing kicking off my bad habits which developed within me while I grew up. It never worked when people tell me how it can be kicked off or scold me over and over again for that matter. It's the same as for any smokers for example, when they said they want to stop smoking, it doesn't require any nicotine patch or rehabilitation plans at all. It will simply stop, that's what I noticed among my friends.

The first bad habit I get to kick was bundling worn clothes for weeks and leave them strewn all over the place.... well it is much better now although the amount of it doubles with the hobbies I lately picked up and the little time I have to spend right before I go to sleep. (Yeah! Tak boleh buat bini.) It was when I started to value them in terms of how they can last if they are protected against crumpling even after being worn. That was when I used to enjoy wearing jackets. It was rewarding to be able to wear my favourite clothes much much longer and spend lesser time ironing.

Perhaps it is also good to detach oneself from befriending someone with bad habits that affects us too. Or we'll just continue getting swept away and drown. And God it takes a lot to even realise sometimes if we're attached to a baggage. People say there's always two sides of the story. Nope, there's always three sides of the story. A's side of the story, B's side of the story and what's really within both A and B. The Scorpion has his story and then there's also what's within it that maybe even he didn't realise would still emerge.

I have had my share of hearing a story or a promise for that matter but what really happens was the same unchanged things. Human are bound to do what's easier, promise the change in the form of words to mask the real results. Later if it happens or not is something people just have to accept.

IT CAN BE KICKED! IT CAN BE KICKED!


Sorry if this may not make any sense to you.

referer referrer referers referrers http_referer