Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Life did not Live Them.

I am inspired to write this after reading this entry of Fade’s (the sheepshaggger far down under). Although I think he's missing home because the thang in skirts there just don't fancy Asian nerds :P

Being rich is so subjective. In this age, I guess it’s best to keep things balanced coz we can’t say we live for a hundred years anymore in order to taste the best of every part of life. So many old, old people confess that they rather die at the age of 70 at most, even if they're blessed with good health.
Most people do not envy us on how busy we are with work anymore. I envy people who’s time is flexible for family’s sakes, for friends, for holidays and cooking, for reading… anything but not as the slave to the 9 to 5. And arrghh! I 'hate' his life, travelling all over the place and scuba dive may be part of the requirement to get the job done, Dang!

I learnt that there are people who gets to spend a part of their life to achieve their dreams regardless of the monetary risks (earning RMfive figure working with someone don't count ok), I guess Roadie is on his way there with his cycling pose. Zainframe and Beruk for being so brave at setting up your own businesses in the middle of this already crowded IT marketplace. It's great!

A colleague of mine shared with me on what the late Leslie Cheung said before he passed on, it goes something like this.
“Many people do not realize what should come at the end of hard work. I don’t know, to me I’ve been working so hard not to find money, but to find true love
and keep it by me for as long as I live”.
Here’s another heart nourishing story I’d like to share:

They did not slave in gardens; they did not work to get ahead; they were not stressed by keeping office hours or schedules. There was nothing they had to do. They enjoyed living; they smiled a great deal, and laughed, and made jokes.

They huddled around a little fire, they slept in a big ball, they often fed little tidbits of food to each other, and they combed each other’s hair. In that they were like animals who groom each other.

This led me to throw away as well my idea that people who do not have the advantages we have-our many choices of education, infinite forms of entertainment-would have to work so hard that they had no time for fun. They sang almost all the time-little tuneless tunes. Occasionally, another person would join in-which was quite a feat because as far as I know, they did not sing a known tune. Sometimes they made up words as they went along, which almost always led to much giggling and laughter.

What remains most vivid in my memory of these people is their contentment, their joy. Voices were never raised in anger. They had the uncomplicated innocence of children, although they certainly were not childish or even innocent. There was sadness sometimes, and they freely expressed that, but they most often expressed joy.


That’s part of a book called ‘Original Wisdom’ written by Wolff about the Senoi – aboriginal people here in Malaysia. In three paragraphs above, I think it’s enough to show that they lived life. Life did not live them, as it does us.

referer referrer referers referrers http_referer