Thursday, September 02, 2004

Tiara that fits for the Puteri.

When Tiara divorced Hani Mohsin for her current husband, Dato' Effendi, what I assumed was in her mind is that she wanted a credible life partner who can be a team player in both her career and domestic life, yes I'm sure she believes that she too could be the woman behind an already successful man and turn him a bigger winner and also make him discover the real depth of his passion for art together with her.

Then I wondered what could have been in Tiara's mind when she bought over the rights to PGL's script from Mamat Khalid back in 1999. I have followed her life story and I'm sure many people knew she's one helluf an intelligent, determined and a hardworking lady.

How can I measure PGL's budget with others, as it sounds completely bizarre for an epic movie? Okay, I hope using Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (CTHD) could be fair as both have flying acts, heavily scripted, done in the woods, has its own soundtrack, laden with traditional costumes and a variety of shooting set.

Compare:
CTHD used USD15million to make and collected 128mill in US alone. It had won Best Original Score and Best Foreign Language Film for the Oscars.
PGL used USD3.9million to make and collected - yet to be revealed.

Without prejudice, PGL is way better than CTHD. I don't have to waste time to justify that.

I watched PGL with awe although I was half hearted at first to drag my feet to watch it. I thought RM15million huha was getting too annoying and that Tiara is only boasting her husband's wealth.

However, one full page coloured ads for PGL (The Star paper size) is already RM20,974 per page per day. Yet it's also supported by radio ads, billboard ads! That's the calculation that was going on in my head while walking towards TGV. I began to think, RM15million is actually outrageous because I'm comparing it to other Melayu movies lah. I did cleared my mind from any bad conscience before entering the cinema.

Being shot deep within Berichang woods, the efforts of camera crews are obviously done with great lengths to capture every angle of facial expressions and body movements in proximity. But I do find the orbitting scene at the waterfall when Hang Tuah finally met Gusti Putri a bit too speedy, luckily their facial fondling is so intense, we all withstood the giddiness. A good try at expressing emotions beyond words. Tell me, how many Malay movies shoot the scenes of vessels on the sea from the top? Cinematography award from whoever should already be in PGL's hand by now.

Enough of frontal, back screen shots like those we see in Yusof Haslam and every injury must be accompanied with 'Aduh!' and for every phone conversation, the receiver must repeat everything the caller says for audiences' capture, which I will cover in my next article.

If I were Tiara, the returns will not matter to me as much as the successful completion of making this entire project and that my bet on making Mamat Khalid's super poetic script into a greatly screened movie came through. I can look back and say "Hey, my movie had Christine Hakim, Dato' Rahim Razali blaa blaa in it". That's what's great about the producer's team, they had a dream, they went after it at full speed (at emptying the bank book!). This is which people say 'wayang yang menaikkan martabat filem Melayu' and Tiara can say "Hey, it's not even done by a Melayu!" Remember, she was Jacqueline Eu. So maybe you should just shut up and give it a chance!

It's true that there's not enough time for character building in the movie, but it's a good problem. This will hopefully lure more tourists here or lure anyone to read more about our history for a change. How many of us still remember Sejarah Kesultanan Melaka? How many of us read the Hikayat Merong Mahawangsa? How many of us even understand our own Bahasa Dalam/Rasmi or even what our Indonesian maids at home say in their own language? So I'm not surprised why so many said it's slow yet could brave through watching Romeo and Juliet, Passion of Christ even The Bold and the Beautiful! See here, to understand why the progression of the movie is rather slow (choose Production, then choose Who's Who in the Preparation)

To all the cast and crew of PGL, you have made it at giving 'em a lesson! I wish you'd at least break even, at least!. The world is definitely ready for it, but unfortunately, not the Malaysian at large just like we were not ready for 'Bruce Almighty' and produce our own horror movie with a real storyline. As we can also remember, only a minority who can appreciate 'finer' work of art like the satirical comedy in 2nd Bolehwood Award by ICT that got banned.
This movie has to be most appreciated by M'sians because only we know its real beauty that lies beneath the two languages. I bet the subtitles were done painstakingly to keep the meaning intact in order to obtain the same level of appreciation by foreign audiences.

I guess only producers with bus conductor background like Yusof Haslam would understand us Malaysians better.

Hey! Even Madonna aspires to make a memorable movie which I'm sure is a part of her marriage (with a rich director) strategies. Yet nothing has been achieved so far. Well, yes I'm sure they're very much in love too.

Next, let's see what Tiara's step daughter's film called 'Pua' can prove with an RM400,000 personal budget.

Realise your dreams by putting aside your paranoia about not having enough money, facing rejection or doubtful about your physical capabilities.

referer referrer referers referrers http_referer