Sunday, March 25, 2007

The End of Her Purring.

THIS POST IS DEDICATED TO PRE PROPHET'S MUHAMMAD SAW BIRTHDAY ON 31ST MARCH

The house is never without cats since we moved in in 1982. We looked after the same feline generation since. To me, a house without somekind of domestic pet is lack of a certain kind of emotional ecosystem. Or, should I say, in Feng Shui's term - 'To Keep the Qi (energy) Circulating, Rare a Pet'. Homes will look happier don't you think?

Over time, we also picked up stray cats back home. Among hundreds of them, there are a few which really stole our hearts with their queer querks. The most adored was named, Joy. He was picked up infront of a mamak shop.

Everyone who walked out of the shop would pet him before they go off, can't stop smiling seeing it rolling and stretching alone, either trying to catch its own tail or scratching its body against the sandy roadside.

Maybe it is its carefreeness that reminds us how simple life should be and how much love can go around in utter fuzzy silence.

I brought him back and the whole house of family of four workaholics seemed extra brighter. We have an indoor playful spirit. He's like a little child who'd wait for a catching game and sleep together by wrapping itself on our neck with purr as a loud as a sewing machine.

When we have guests, he's actually one of our PR, going around letting others stroke its stomach and even climb and sniff their faces. Joy is 'functionally' really part of the family in the way he gave back, I remember, there was a period of time I got too busy with work, hardly saw him during the month and then had to be away for 3 days. It looked rather thin suddenly and less active. I thought, after my outstation trip, I was going to buy Joy some extra luxury food and toys he can damage to pieces.

I guess a month was too much for it... I don't know.. to wait for a catching game and have us sitting by his side while he gobble down his dinner. I came back and it just disappeared.

I spent a month driving around, walking around, combing all streets and drains and walked back crying like a little kid.

There's a vacuum suddenly.

I told myself, 'no more getting too close to cats'. It's just going to be about feeding and looking after, that's it!

Now that I lost Kathy, I finally understood what exactly made me so upset. It's not just literally that there's a death.

Kathy was born in a siblings of 4, her mother disappeared when all of them were big enough to look after themselves, but one was still very manja. It was weird but she didn't kick back when it was trying to snuggle on her stomach for a pacifier. Dah la jantan pulak tu, his name was Ginger.

All her siblings gave birth and sometimes just left theirs kittens starving. She would again feed them and groom one by one of them so dedicatedly. There are times food almost run out and only very little was on the plate. She would let all the kittens eat first, most of the time, she just gets the last little bits that spilled out on the floor.

I thought, she would only look after her blood line.


But no, dad brought back a dirty skinny kitten one day and she quickly groomed it and treated it like one of hers. Guess she's just a neat freak.

She has her way of keeping herself part of the family. In the evenings, she would make sure she's inside the house just listening to our conversation. As if.... that's her way of taking a break from babysitting.

She wouldn't ask for attention unlike Joy, but rather, she'd sit quietly in the middle of the crowd and keep her ears up.

I remember when the Wedding Planner was in the house showing all the samples to mother, she would have nose in them too. And when he handed stuff over to mother, she would raise her paws as if she wanted to see if the notes are valid...... things you even hardly see in human beings! Really kepo!

Yeah, she'd wait for me without fail every day and sat beside me while I wait for my date to arrive outside the gate.

Every morning when father goes out for Subuh prayers, she'll sneak in and wait for me outside the bathroom and sit in bed while I get ready to go to work. I was too used to it that I didn't noticed the fondness then.

She's a great mother and friend to all the little cats, I wonder if she was trying to mother me too.
It is when they are gone, I fell really hard thinking if I have done enough for them. If I have felt for them the way they felt for me so unconditionally. And the saddest thing is, the world is less of another love emitting creature which embraces selflessness without even receiving any preaching that they should do it.

Thank you Kathy for the experience you gave to everyone around me and .. the unconditional love. Syukur pada Tuhan for borrowing me such wonderful angels.

referer referrer referers referrers http_referer