Sunday, August 01, 2004

Mamaks are truely Malaysians!

It was a rare morning for me today, although it was raining I woke up early to facilitate a presentation although we don't work on Saturdays. I took advantage of the peaceful roads in KL by running my errands at the Citibank. Was early for the presentation so I sat at a coffee shop situated in the car park area. The owner is an Indian, it's a self service shop. So I took some nasi goreng and ordered one teh. If this is how mamak shops are going to be, we M'sians will go to sleep much much earlier and maaaaybe also be saved from possibilities of getting diabetes and such. Hey, but we still need the 'Eau de Canai','Pour Dhal','Parfum de Kari' environment for weekend breakfasts at least!! My colleague, Saiful said 'Mamaks are truely Malaysians' and I felt dearly towards that statement... I know it's so dramatic. I had to walk to the counter to pay for the food and drinks, but it's breakfast and I prefer to be served all the way till the minute I need to go off.

I nearly fell off my chair after reading Papimami's blog about the same thing. Now here's a blogger with a unique style, simple layout yet the content... he would laborously type out line by line dialogues instead of words in paragraphs so that you can imagine yourself as a cast inside the drama itself! It really deserves a second read in case you guys went in and thought it's too long winded, try again.

Back to the mamak (be it mamak Penang or original India mari punya) matter, I do hope the government would just decide on stopping new licences for anymore new outlets, let alone new chain. But let the current ones stay the same in every way, but if the nasi kandar rate can lower down good also!

I'm sorry if it's prejudice to say some specializations come with the ethnic. Who else can run 18-24 hrs business like them? We can stay up until morning but only if we specialize in 'tok kok' session discussing million dollar business which will never happen. It's symbiotic, we need them, they need us. Malaysia meriah kerana muhibbah.

referer referrer referers referrers http_referer